Your Library Needs You!
Do you need community service volunteer hours for National Honor Society, Scouting, or another school or service group?
Or do you just want to be a volunteer because it's the right thing to do?
Fill out an application and sign up for a time slot.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your shift is due to start,
- Check in at the Teen Desk so we know you are here, can give you a Teen Volunteer pin to wear and allocate your tasks.
- Once your shift is completed, please return to the Teen desk to receive your volunteer certificate.
- If a question or problem should arise during your shift, please notify Department Staff immediately.
- If you are unable to carry out your assigned shift, please contact the library Teen Staff with as much notice as possible.
- Individual shifts will be 1-2 hours long, but you can work more than one shift at one time for longer service hours.
- In Youth, you will be dusting the shelves, straightening books, CDs and DVDs and sometimes helping Youth staff with programs and program preparation.
- In Teen, you will be dusting the shelves, straightening books, CDs and DVDs, participating in programs, and helping to recruit other teen patrons for programs.
- In Adult, you will be dusting, tidying shelves and assisting staff where needed.
- As a Volunteer, you are representing Oxford Public Library, so please behave maturely and responsibly and follow the Library’s Code of Conduct. If you don’t know the Code, just ask a member of the teen staff and we’ll be happy to get you a copy.
- Please dress appropriately, as if attending the workplace or school. If you couldn’t wear it at school then you can’t wear it to volunteer at the library.
- All volunteers are required to respect the library’s “No Cell Phone” policy, so please turn off cell phones upon arrival and focus your time on the community service you are performing.
- Please take this responsibility to perform community service hours in your library seriously. OPL Staff reserve the right to revoke any future volunteer opportunities, for example, if you behave inappropriately or disrespectfully towards staff, patrons or the library’s property, or if you’re consistently late or don’t show up to your assigned shifts.
If you have any questions please ask, and we will be happy to clarify anything for you!